Sunday, February 13, 2011

Wannsee

I meant to write an entry about my trip to Wannsee after I went, but as many of you have been able to see, I haven't been so great about updating this thing when I'm supposed to.

Anyway, I went to Wannsee two Fridays ago as a mini-day trip with some friends from FU-BEST. We wanted to check out the House of the Wannsee Conference, a historical building and event known to many who have any knowledge of the progression of the Holocaust/the Final Solution.

The house itself is absolutely beautiful. It is incredibly charming and classy, located right on the Wannsee. It has an amazing view and is surrounded by picturesque trees, land, and flowers. This, of course, makes the entire Wannsee Conference ironic: The horrendous, disgusting decision of how to "do away" with Europe's Jewish population was discussed and made in this beautiful, serene house. This is what made my personal experience at the house odd. I was filled with the feelings of dread and uneasiness as I walked around the house, which has now been converted into a museum. I could not dissociate myself from what I imagined to be the past.

It began when I walked on the driveway that leads to the entrance of the house. I could almost see the cars driving up on the very same path that I was walking on--the only thing separating us was our purpose of being there. Every step I took in the house, I imagined a high-ranking Nazi official taking a similar one. When I looked out of the window that looks out to the Wannsee, I couldn't help but think of a man doing the same exact thing almost 70 years ago, breathing on the very same window that my breath was leaving traces on. And afterward, when we walked out to the garden, I thought of the Nazis, satisfied with their decision, strolling around the garden, breathing in the same fresh, clean air.

So much history and beauty and disbelief.

Wannsee

The Isted Lion, a Danish war monument

Us in front of Wannsee

House of the Wannsee Conference

Garden/Backyard

The back of the House of the Wannsee Conference

No comments:

Post a Comment